In 2014 Auckland Council purchased the 78 hectare site containing the Gap, the blow hole and the ‘tennis court’ coastal herbfield south of Piha. This area has been given the name ‘Taitomo’ and is part of the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park.
Auckland Council is seeking feedback on the long-term management policies and a plan for this area.
Auckland Council would like to achieve the following:
- Protection and enhancement of the natural landscape and biodiversity
- Retention and celebration of the wild, natural, west coast character
- Celebration of the cultural history of the site
- Opportunities for recreation for the enjoyment and well-being of the local community, iwi, and visitors
- A well connected and accessible site
In December 2016 Auckland Council published a draft concept plan for consultation and submissions from 9 community groups and 75 individuals were received. Staff have since revised the draft concept plan and developed management policies in light of the feedback we received and now offer the draft policies and revised plan for your consideration. Copies of the draft concept plan and policies are available to view here at Shape Auckland, at the Arataki Visitor Centre and the Piha Library.
Independent commissioners will consider all the submissions and recommend changes to the draft document for final approval by the council.
Please let us know via the on-line survey whether you would like to speak to your submission.
The period for submissions closes at 4.30pm on July 28th 2017.